Incupharm at workLAB
Position: General Manager Incupharm
Employer: Incupharm DAC
Commencement Date: June 2019
Contract Duration: 3-year contract
Reporting to: The Incupharm Board
Applications are invited for the post of Incupharm General Manager located at WorkLAB Waterford. This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, experienced, self-starter to manage and drive the success of this ambitious new sciences initiative. The successful candidate will have a major opportunity for career development and to shape the future direction of the Centre which is the first of its kind for the South East Region.
Incupharm DAC is a life science enterprise initiative funded through the Enterprise Ireland Regional Enterprise Development Fund. The company will provide business development services and laboratories to support the creation of science-based businesses, including the delivery of business development programmes, workspaces for entrepreneurs, training, mentoring and peer-to-peer collaboration.
We seek a dynamic and motivated individual with the necessary skills and experience to manage the development of Incupharm. This will include the development of physical wet lab facilities, attracting ambitious science start-ups and established SMEs to Incupharm and the promotion of Incupharm. The role involves hands-on support and mentoring of early stage science-based companies as well as operational management and marketing of Incupharm. The person will play a critical role in facilitating interactions between the science-based start-ups, established SMEs and the regional science community. The Incupharm Manager is also a key interface with stakeholders including the Incupharm Board, support agencies, the private sector and the property owner at WorkLAB.
The successful candidate will demonstrate strong leadership traits and an ability to think both strategically and creatively. The ideal candidate will have the necessary scientific and business knowledge to support the development of the laboratories, recruitment of science companies as clients and to facilitate collaboration between entrepreneurs, industry partners, regional 3rd Level Institutes and support agencies. The General Manager will have a proven ability to generate leads, develop research-based proposals and sales presentations and a record of driving new sales opportunities within target market segments. The General Manager will work closely with the Board to develop the growth strategy for Incupharm.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and direction for the development of Incupharm.
- The General Manager will develop opportunities by locating, developing, defining, negotiating, and closing business relationships with potential science companies.
- The General Manager will work directly with the Incupharm start-ups to support the growth and acceleration of their businesses. Develop networks of contacts with science entrepreneurs, SME businesses, professional service providers and support agencies and 3rd Level Institutions, positioning Incupharm as a focal hub for commercial innovation in sciences in the southeast region.
- Develop partnerships with multi-national companies and SMEs, integrating Incupharm into the sciences eco-system of the southeast region.
- Develop and execute a 3-year business and operating plan for Incupharm ensuring that good financial practices are implemented, and a high quality of service is delivered to clients.
- Recruitment, vetting and management of tenants with innovative, high growth potential, science-based businesses.
- Facilitate collaboration between Incupharm clients and stakeholders in the southeast region.
- Develop and implement laboratory and incubation policies and procedures in line with best practice nationally and internationally, in compliance with Health and Safety regulations.
- Enhance the Incupharm ecosystem by deepening the integration with other science innovation and development programmes at regional and national level.
- Facilities management including IT and associated systems while ensuring compliance with Worklab’s operating procedures.
- Developing and maintaining professional relations with the Worklab’s management.
- Provide introductions and networking opportunities for Incupharm client companies.
- Generating reports for the Board to comply with conditions of the funding bodies.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
Degree in a science related discipline.
Postgraduate degree in a science or business-related discipline.
Minimum of five years’ experience in scientific or laboratory environment.
Experience of team leadership and business exposure from a client perspective.
Experience of project management.
Experience in product development and/or intellectual property development.
Experience in setting-up and managing laboratories.
Start-up experience or mentoring of science, start-up/scaling companies.
Personal Attributes, Competencies, Knowledge and Skills
Ability to operate at strategic and operational levels and develop Incupharm’s strategic vision. Planning of short and medium terms goals and their effective delivery.
Excellent networking, interpersonal and communication skills (ideally with strong existing networks within life sciences community) with the ability to influence stakeholders at all levels.
Demonstrated ability to manage the needs of many stakeholders.
The salary attaching to this post is €60,000 – €70,000pa, depending on experience, for a contract duration of 3 years.
The Incupharm General Manager position is based at WorkLAB, IDA Business Park, Waterford, Ireland, X91 DC96. The person will be required to travel in connection with the job. A full clean driving license is required.
Applications must be made via email to Incupharm@worklab.ie.
Please ensure that you use the reference ‘Incupharm General Manager in the subject line of your application email and include following as attachments:
- A short (i.e. no more than 2 pages) cover letter/ personal statement outlining why you wish to be considered for the post and where you believe your skills and experience meet the requirements of this position.
- A CV detailing your qualifications and all relevant experience relating to this role.
Please note that hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Incupharm will shortlist only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.
Closing Date of Advert: 16:00 on 3rd May 2019. Note that late applications will not be accepted.
Incupharm is an equal opportunities employer.